2012年9月10日星期一

Why study geography?


From our lecture I know geography is Geography is the study of the Earth and its lands, features, inhabitants and phenomena. Contemporary Geography is an all encompassing discipline that seeks to understand the Earth and all of its human and natural complexities – the process of how things have evolved.

My own understanding is that geography is the study of the earth’s landscapes, peoples, places and environments. It is, quite simply, about the world in which we live.
 
Geography is unique in bridging the social sciences (human geography) with the natural sciences (physical geography). Human geography concerns the understanding of the dynamics of cultures, societies and economies, and physical geography concerns the understanding of the dynamics of physical landscapes and the environment. Geography is, in the broadest sense, an education for life and for living. Learning through geography – whether gained through formal learning or experiential through travel, fieldwork and expeditions – helps us all to be more social and environmentally sensitive, informed and responsible citizens and employees.

For me I like any kinds of outdoor activities, climbing, diving. These activities can let me stay away from cities. In other words, this can let me closer to nature, to fell the mysteries of nature. But these kinds of activities are dangerous. If I know some geographical knowledge, so it will be much safer. It is very useful for me .

没有评论:

发表评论